Digital photography is more than just capturing images in the camera; it’s also about editing and enhancing them. Image-editing software such as Photoshop can not only improve your photos with a few basic edits but also manage and organise your expanding photo library through an efficient digital workflow.
This half-day course workshop is essential for those shooting and working with digital image files and who are a little baffled by the process and where to start. Photoshop is a complex programme, but for amateur and beginner photographers getting to grips with a few of Photoshop’s key tools will greatly increase the quality of their photos. Through demonstrations and hands-on tuition using two powerful and intuitive image processing/editing components of Photoshop programme - Adobe Bridge (PC called Organiser) and Adobe Camera Raw (included in Photoshop programme for non-destructive quick retouching of both RAW and Jpeg images) - you will learn basic workflow techniques. From the initial download step and processing RAW / Jpeg files, through the image-editing stage to sharpening, resizing and saving files to output for print and screen.
None or little previous knowledge of Photoshop MAC or PC users. Must have basic computer skills.
4 hours (demonstrations and hands-on workshop)
$210 incl hand-out notes. ($185 if book 'Digital Essentials Photography Course'
and this course together).
small groups - max 8 persons. Students are required to bring own laptop already installed with Photoshop CS5 (free trial version of Adobe Photoshop CS5 is available for download for Pc and Mac from the Adobe website - check system requirements first).
Next course dates:
Currently there are no course dates. Please email us if you are interested.
Course suitable for:
This intensive and fun photo/image editing course workshop has been designed for those wanting an overview of the digital imaging workflow process and to learn some basic tips and techniques to enhance their photos. Suited to MAC or PC users who already use either Photoshop CS4/CS5 or are thinking about purchasing the programme.
An ideal course for individuals with little spare time and also a cost-effective training course for time-pressed business employees of large corporations, small businesses and government organisations whose role requires managing the company’s photo library and creating various in-house newsletters, images for company’s website etc.
This short course is designed with the beginner /enthusiast photographer in mind. We will demonstrate the beginning-to-end process for a simple digital workflow using Adobe Bridge / Organiser for downloading and organising your photos, Photoshop Adobe Camera Raw edit workspace for enhancing and improving your images quickly and Photoshop workspace for resizing files for printing and on-screen applications. During the session you will have time to work on your own images with guidance from the instructor.
We use Adobe Camera Raw edit space as many of the basic tasks can all be achieved faster and more easily in ACR than performing these same tasks in the main editing space of Photoshop. Another great benefit of using ACR is that it’s non-destructive, even for Jpeg files - that means your orginal files are protected unlike Photoshop (unless you are working in layers and large files). Therefore your image edits are always reversible – one of the reasons why many photographers have switched from full Photoshop to ACR for much of their editing work.
The course covers:
* Steps for a simple digital workflow.
* Downloading, managing & storing photos, adding keywords.
* Basic photo enhancement techniques: colour & tone adjustment, cropping, straightening.
* Correcting white balance & exposure.
* Improving quality of image by ‘cleaning up’ using healing tool, removing red-eye.
* Improving highlights, shadows and contrast.
* Using hue/saturation panel.
* Using the histogram to correct highlight and shadow clipping.
* Converting an image to quality black and white.
* Batch image processing.
* Sharpening an image correctly for web and print i.e how much to sharpen?
* Understanding pixel resolution - resizing images for print & web/email.
* Preparing images for print & on-screen - resolution & colour space (Adobe RGB vs. SRGB).
* Saving and working with various file formats: Jpeg, Raw, Tiff, PS, GIF
* Processing Raw and Jpeg images.
* Creating a simple digital workflow for organising photo library.
* Master a few simple techniques to digitally enhance / retouch photos that can be applied using image-editing software Photoshop CS5
* Learn the difference between file formats ( Raw, Jpeg, Tiff, PS) and how to save files.
* Sharpening images correctly.
* Resizing and resolution for both printing (home inkjet printer vs photo lab) and web/email.
Training room in Sydney city CBD. Parking available at special weekend rates. Train station short walking distance.
How to book course:
Book this course now via the booking page
email us via the contact form
if any questions.
Sarah Jenkins - photographer & graphic designer.
What to bring:
Please bring your laptop (and power cable) with Adobe Photoshop CS5 installed (Free trial version of Photoshop CS5 available to download from Adobe website), about 20 of your RAW and/or Jpeg images on CD or USB memory stick and if you have Raw or Jpeg images on your camera memory card bring them too (not crucial) with a card reader for downloading.
To view at a glance all of our other photography courses.
This is not an in-depth Photoshop course - it has been designed to show those photographers with little or no knowledge of image editing software only the tools/tips required to quickly and efficiently organise and edit their photos as part of a streamlined workflow.